The BBC gave me a lifeline as a child. It must be kept public | Nesrine Malik - Trending World Portal

Latest

Trending World Portal aim's to give you TOP trending post, share important news update, viral topics, and other informative

Monday, 10 February 2020

The BBC gave me a lifeline as a child. It must be kept public | Nesrine Malik

Those who lobby against the corporation’s service remit fail to understand its unique relationship with its audience

‘‘You’re mistaken if you think you can hand Margaret Thatcher a pearl-handled revolver and expect her to do the right thing. She’d shoot you with it.” As memory serves me, those were the words of a member of parliament being interviewed on the BBC World Service in November 1990. The programme was Newshour, and the presenter was Owen Bennett-Jones. I recall these details because the ousting of Thatcher was the first political event I tuned into properly as a child with an interest in politics living in a sub-Saharan African country with no access to media that covered current events.

Satellite dishes were prohibitively expensive, and apart from a short news bulletin on state-controlled TV there was no other source of news, let alone analysis – until I found the BBC World Service on shortwave radio. I started to haul the only portable radio in the house, a large battery-powered contraption with a long-bent aerial, everywhere I went, becoming aware of the dead zones in the house where the signal was weak, and making note of the times when the signal was strongest. Night-times were the worst. I would heave the radio into the bed and painstakingly tease the dial to find the crackling transmission from Bush House, able only to fall asleep when I managed to find the faint voices fading in and out of the crackle of white noise.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2Sy9qnz
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment